Maurizio Volterrani is Head of the Cardiac Pulmonary Department at IRCCS San Raffaele Pisana in Rome. He holds a full professorship in sport science, an associate professorship in cardiovascular and respiratory medicine as well as a full professorship in Science Movement at the Department of Human Science and Promotion of Quality Life at the San Raffaele Telematic University of Rome.
Volterrani’s main research interests include heart failure, exercise training in cardiac rehabilitation and telemedicine. He is and has been principal investigator in multiple international clinical trials mainly related to heart failure.
He is a board member as well as Fellow of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the European Society of Cardiology as holds the following positions:
- coordinator the Exercise Physiology and Training Committee of the HFA
- co-coordinator of the Registry and Epidemiology Committee of the HFA
- co-coordinator of the Digital Health Committee of the HFA
- Member of the HFA Study Group on Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Frailty
- Liaison Officer for the ESC Patient Forum
- Ex-officio Member of the Council on Stroke
Volterrani is also member of the Italian Ministry of Health Commission for IRCCS Research Hospitals Cardiology Network and is an expert in the Scientific Advisor Group for the European Medicines Agency. Volterrani is Associate Editor for the European Journal of Heart Failure and ESC Heart Failure Journal. He has authored over 250 publications in national and international scientific journals with a current H-index of 46.