Continuing education (CE) credits must be earned within your three-year renewal cycle and be relevant to the healthcare information and management systems field in one of the seven types below.
1. CE Hours
Receive 1 CE hour for each 60 minutes of participation in educational programs on topics related to healthcare information and management systems. A certificate, verification form or letter verifying your attendance is required for documentation.
- Education portions of HIMSS/Digital Health Canada educational activities
- Education portions of programs sponsored by related organizations on topics that maintain, update or enhance knowledge and/or skills relevant to the healthcare information and management systems profession
- CE events
- HIMSS Approved Providers of Education
- HIMSS Learning Center
2. Academic Hours
All courses, coursework and final exams must be completed by your renewal cycle end date. A transcript, grade report or verification form is required for documentation.
- Post-secondary courses taken for credit in pursuit of an associate, baccalaureate, masters, or doctorate, relevant to healthcare information and management systems: 5 CE hours for each academic credit
- Audited or non-credit adult education courses taken relevant to healthcare information and management systems, without completing necessary requirements for full formal credit: 3 CE hours for each academic course completed
- HIMSS Approved Education Partners
Presentation of original work relevant to healthcare information and management systems professionals delivered to an audience. Documentation must include a copy of the program brochure listing you as the presenter and a copy of the presentation.
- Speaker at an educational program: 1 CE hour for each 15 minutes of podium time
- Panel participant at an educational program: 1 CE hour for each 60 minutes of podium time
- Guest lecturer for a college/university course: 1 CE hour for each 15 minutes of podium time
- Primary author of content related to healthcare information and management systems utilized in e-learning and/or other media presentations: 1 CE hour for each 15 minutes of presentation time
Publication activities are limited to articles in refereed journals, professional newsletters, or chapters in edited or published books. Required documentation for publication credit is a copy of the cover page of the article or book, or the table of contents for a chapter in a published book. Publications required as part of work responsibilities cannot be counted toward CE hours.
- Book related to healthcare information and management systems; you must be the author or co-author: 20 CE hours for each book
- Book chapter related to healthcare information and management systems; you must be the author or co-author: 15 CE hours for each chapter
- Article published in a peer-reviewed journal related to healthcare information and management systems; you must be the author or co-author: 5 CE hours for each article
- Article published in a professional newsletter; you must be the author or co-author: 3 CE hours for each article
5. Professional Service
Complete one (1) or more years of volunteer service during your renewal cycle with an international, national, state, provincial or local related professional organization or society. Service activities required as part of work responsibilities cannot be counted toward CE hours. Accepted professional service activities include boards of directors, committees, review boards, task forces and work groups: 5 CE hours for each year of service. Required documentation is a certificate of appreciation or signed letter from the organization with the dates and type of service.
6. Item Writing
Item writing for the CAHIMSSM or CPHIMSSM Exams (CE hours predetermined by HIMSS). To learn more about this opportunity, contact email@example.com.
7. Recertification by Examination
A passing score on the CAHIMS or CPHIMS Exam may be used in lieu of the required CE hours in the recertification process. To renew this way, successfully pass the examination no more than six (6) months prior to expiration of your certification.
Non-Qualifying CE Activities
Responsibilities that fall within the normal parameters of an individual's job description do not qualify for CE hours. These activities include but are not limited to:
- Staff meetings
- Grand rounds
- Preparation for and/or participation in accreditation and licensure surveys
- Preparation of procedure, policy or administrative manuals
- Conducting tours
- Participation in career day activities
- Development of employee and staff training materials
- Development of published materials and/or presentations as a direct part of an individual's employment
- Instructing or teaching a class
- Summarizing articles, audiotapes or video
HIMSS Continuing Education Approval Program
The HIMSS Continuing Education Approval Program recognizes organizations that have met our standards for providing CE credits.