The Certified Associate in Healthcare Information and Management Systems (CAHIMS)SM credential will help you advance your healthcare career:
- Demonstrate professional knowledge in healthcare information and management systems to potential and current employers
- Establish a solid foundation that will give you an advantage as you strengthen abilities, acquire more experience and advance your career path
Become CAHIMS Certified
Candidates who meet CAHIMS eligibility requirements can apply to take the certification exam.
To qualify to take the CAHIMS Exam and earn CAHIMS certification, you must:
- Hold a High School Diploma or equivalent and
- Have at least 45 hours of continuing education in healthcare information technology, digital health or informatics, specifically covering content found on the CAHIMS Outline of Exam Topics or 150 hours experience in any type of IT and Healthcare setting or role (volunteer, practicum/internship, work).
- Hold an associate, bachelor or advanced degree from an accredited college or university and
- Have at least 25 hours of continuing education in healthcare information technology, digital health or informatics, specifically covering content found on the CAHIMS Outline of Exam Topics or 75 hours experience in any type of IT and Healthcare setting or role (volunteer, practicum/internship, work).
For detailed information on eligibility requirements, see the CAHIMS Candidate Handbook.
Preparing for the Exam
Start by reviewing the CAHIMS Candidate Handbook, which provides a detailed outline explaining the content and structure of the exam. It will help you identify your strengths and weaknesses and focus your preparation.
HIMSS also offers review materials to help candidates prepare for the exam, including webinars, review courses and books. Find the review materials that work best for you in our CAHIMS Resources. Additionally, be sure to consider our CAHIMS Review Guide.
Instructor-led, interactive, one-day, in-person review courses, as well as online review courses and instructional webinars, are available. Contact us for more information, or find upcoming courses and webinars on our Events page.
The CAHIMS Self-Assessment Exam is a 50-question online practice test that was developed using the same process as the CAHIMS certification exam; the practice test conforms to the CAHIMS certification exam’s specifications in topical content, cognitive levels, and format—but not number of questions, time allotted, or difficulty. Use the practice test to familiarize yourself with the format and type of questions you will find on the actual certification exam. At the end of the practice test, you will see a results screen. You can click on any incorrect questions to review the correct answers, to help you identify areas for further review and study. The questions presented in the practice exam are different from the questions contained on the actual certification exam and should not be considered predictive of your performance on the certification exam. Please allow 5-7 business days for your practice exam transaction to process.
The CAHIMS Exam is delivered via a network of computer-based assessment centers around the world.
Applications will be reviewed for eligibility, and candidates will be contacted with instructions on how to make their testing reservation.
To locate the testing center nearest you, visit our testing partner website .. Candidates will not be able to make a testing reservation until they have received an eligibility ID number.
Questions? Reach out to us at email@example.com.
Taking the Exam
The CAHIMS Exam is a two-hour exam composed of 115 multiple-choice questions, 100 of which are scored. The exam focuses on common knowledge and skills that have been identified as being important to competent practice through a job analysis in health IT.
Exams are administered at Pearson VUE Testing Centers and at select HIMSS events, such as the HIMSS Global Health Conference. All candidates must apply and receive an eligibility ID number before making a reservation to test.
Candidates will receive results before leaving the testing session.
CAHIMS Certification Fees
(All fees in U.S. dollars)
- HIMSS Organizational Member, $209
- HIMSS Member, Corporate Member or Student Member, $279
- Non-Member, $379
- Extension, $119
- Retake, $169
- Renewal Member, $169
- Renewal Non-Member, $279
- Self-Assessment Exam Member, $99
- Self-Assessment Exam Non-Member, $109
Veterans Exam Fee Reimbursement
The CAHIMS Exam fee is eligible for reimbursement for U.S. veterans. To be reimbursed, you must be eligible for the Montgomery G.I. Bill, Reserve Education Assistance Program, Veterans Education Assistance Program, or Dependents Educational Assistance programs. For more information about benefit and eligibility requirements, contact your assigned Veterans Affairs office or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Renew Your Certification
Want to renew your CAHIMS certification? Visit our Certification Renewal page.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.