Healthcare organizations increasingly rely on professionals for data-driven decision making to help guide them to strategically organize and analyze medical and healthcare related information. This course provides knowledge and skills to improve healthcare through innovative and essential techniques that enable the delivery of efficient and quality healthcare analytics. This is your chance to learn how to select, prepare, analyze, interpret, evaluate and present health data related to health system performance and effectiveness. Improve problem-solving skills and your ability to lead.
What you'll learn
In the increasingly high-tech era of business, where decisions are augmented with data analytics and emerging technological tools, a single enterprising individual can truly make an impact on the success of the organization they serve and in their own life.
Whether you are a seasoned professional looking to open every door of opportunity, just entering the corporate life, or seeking to enhance your career, this course gives you powerful skills. Alliant’s California School of Management and Leadership and HIMSS have partnered to bring you much-needed healthcare analytics topics.
Upon completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Why analytics is the fundamental tool and enterprise engine for successful healthcare delivery transformation to better quality, lower cost and improved customer satisfaction
- How analytics is used in supporting healthcare quality improvement through provider profiling (measure development, variations monitoring and control, benchmark and best practice comparison, outlier reduction)
- How analytics is used in supporting healthcare outcome improvement through patient profiling and population health management (risk stratification, gap analysis, impact estimate and prediction)
- How analytics is used in supporting healthcare fraud, waste and abuse reduction to improve operational efficiency
- How to build, grow and develop a robust analytical capacity towards a mature analytical organization to support insight-driven operation
- Self-paced, asynchronous, no prerequisites!
- October 2, 2023 - December 10, 2023 | 12 weeks
- Everyone’s different, but you can expect to spend up to eight hours per week on course materials.
- An instructor will be available to monitor your progress on a supervisory basis
- Interact with the subject matter expert instructor directly throughout the 12 weeks during optional hour-long weekly sessions. Topics include working on data sets in SAS On Demand, SAS Viya and other tools selected by the instructor, potentially could include Tableau, Google Data Studio, R, and Python.
- Earn continuing education (CE) hours (see disclaimer below for more information)
To participate in the course, you need to have access to a computer and have internet access. Students are not expected to have access to specific statistics packages or healthcare analytics platforms.
- Module 1 – Introduction to Healthcare Challenges and Transformation
- Module 2 – Introduction to Healthcare Transformation Initiatives
- Module 3 – Defining Healthcare Quality and Value
- Module 4 – Discussing New Quality Improvement Initiatives
- Module 5 – Payment Model Reform: Transition from FFS to FFV
- Module 6 – Provider Profiling: BI Tools for Best Practice Benchmarking
- Module 7 – Patient Profiling: Risk Stratification and Scoring Models
- Module 8 – Individualized Decision for Optimal Patient Care
- Module 9 – Leveraging Advanced Analytics to Reduce Overuse and Waste
- Module 10 – Low-Value Care: Low-Hanging Fruit for Quick Waste Reduction
- Module 11 – Ultimate Solution for Optimal Health
- Module 12 – Grow Toward a Mature Analytical Organization
Dr. Lou Edwards (she/her) holds a doctorate in healthcare administration (DHA) from the University of Phoenix. In addition, she has a master of science in healthcare administration from the University of Phoenix. In addition, she currently holds several certifications, including Certified Business Analysis, Certified Agile Scrum Master, Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, Certified Business Continuity Professional, Certified SAFe Practitioner, and Project Management.
Dr. Edwards has been in healthcare for over 25 years with different healthcare companies and leadership roles across various functional areas. She has been an adjunct professor at other colleges and universities for the past seven years, teaching Healthcare Administration courses at the master's degree level and undergraduate. The class includes health administration, finance, managed care, health information, marketing, legal, and ethics.
- HIMSS Member* - $649.00 USD
- Non-Member - $729.00 USD
*Excludes Chapter Only and Digital Only members
Registration is available through September 28
Questions? Contact us at HIMSSprofessionaldevelopment@himss.org
Participant registration information will be collected by HIMSS and shared with Alliant’s California School of Management and Leadership.
This program has been approved for up to 15 continuing education (CE) hours for use in fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certified Professional in Healthcare Information and Management Systems (CPHIMS)SM or the Certified Associate in Healthcare Information and Management Systems (CAHIMS)SM. For those satisfying all course requirements, a certificate of completion will be issued by Alliant’s California School of Management and Leadership upon the conclusion of the course (allow for approximately two weeks of processing after October 8).
HIMSS and Alliant have established an articulation agreement which allows HIMSS CE courses completed at Alliant to qualify for 3 credits towards Alliant’s Master of Science degrees, MS in Healthcare Analytics or MS in Data Analytics when students enroll in one of these degrees. HIMSS members/employees also qualify for 15% lower preferred tuition when enrolled in one of these degrees.