The HIMSS Workflow Analysis and Design Course is a self-paced, on-demand, e-learning course designed to help hospital staff, administrators and executives learn more about the workflow analysis and design process. You’ll cover the key steps involved in completing a systematic review of healthcare workflows and processes. The outcome of these reviews can be used in designing new workflows in conjunction with implementing a new electronic health records system (EHR) or optimizing existing EHR systems. Assess your comprehension after each module to ensure you have mastered the key competencies and apply what you’ve learned during a scenario-based learning activity to conclude the course.
This course is hosted on the HIMSS Litmos learning management system. Learners will have six months from the date of purchase to complete all course requirements. Approximate course time is five hours. Upon successful completion, learners receive a certificate of completion and are eligible to claim five HIMSS continuing education (CE) hours.
Key Competency Areas
- Workflow and process analysis overview
- Workflow and process mapping using flowcharts
- Workflow and process diagrams
- The current state/future state workflow
- Workflow and process analysis and monitoring
- Workflow and process redesign
- Meeting facilitation for workflow implementation decisions
- Quality improvement methods
- Ways to lead and facilitate change
- Process change implementation and evaluation
- Maintenance and enhancements
Course Learning Objectives
- Identify the elements involved in providing patient care within a healthcare setting that must be taken into consideration when examining and proposing changes in workflows and processes.
- Create a diagram of a key workflow/process in the healthcare setting that supports workflow analysis and re-design.
- Critically analyze the workflow processes in a specific healthcare setting to determine their effectiveness from the perspective of those being served (i.e., patients), those providing the services (i.e., professional and non-professional staff), and the organization’s leadership (i.e., decision makers).
- Propose ways in which quality improvement methods, tools and health IT can be applied within a healthcare setting to improve workflow processes.
- Suggest approaches that would ensure the success of workflow re-design, from development and presentation of the implementation plan to facilitation of decision-making meetings, implementation of the changes, evaluation of the new processes, sustainability of new workflow processes, and continuous quality improvement efforts.
- HIMSS Member* | $250.00 USD
- Non-Member | $350.00 USD
*excludes Chapter only and Digital only members
Should you have questions regarding this course, please reach out to us at HIMSSprofessionaldevelopment@himss.org.