Discover ways of presenting information in an engaging and actionable graphical format to conceptually analyze and interpret the data for managerial relevance. Explore options for data visualization, including dashboard and reporting design, implementation, usage of various charts and graph styles, interpretation of results to drive relevant insights and highly aligned data driven stories, as well as hands-on experimentation with different types of marketplace interactive visualization software.
What you’ll learn
In the increasingly high-tech era of business, where decisions are augmented with data analytics, visualizations, data-driven storytelling, and emerging technological tools, a single enterprising individual can truly impact the success of the organization they serve and in their own life.
Whether you are a seasoned professional looking to open every door of opportunity, just entering the corporate life, or seeking to enhance your career, this course gives you powerful skills. Alliant’s California School of Management and Leadership and HIMSS have partnered to bring you much-needed data visualization topics.
Upon completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Select the appropriate software and chart types to model and visualize data based on the intended audiences.
- Think visually and produce interactive charts and dashboards.
- Use visual data exploration methods to aid in data understanding and identify visualizations based on the target audience.
- Identify appropriate data visualization techniques and build graphics with the appropriate software for the task.
- Apply visualization best practices to improve the readability, clarity and accessibility of the data insights.
- Tell stories with data visualizations and produce charts, maps, tables and other visual representations that resonate with the audience.
- Manipulate interactive healthcare data visualizations collected by The Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME).
- Use Visualize Free from InetSoft to work with online interactive healthcare data visualizations on their website.
- Use R and RStudio to produce basic graphs to explore and visualize data relevant to healthcare.
- Use Microsoft Excel to produce basic dashboards to explore and visualize data relevant to healthcare.
- Use Python and MatPlotlib to produce basic graphs to explore and visualize data relevant to healthcare.
- Use Gephi to visualize and manipulate network visualizations for analysis.
- Use Cytoscape to explore how visual properties of a network's color, shape, and border are used to express data.
- Self-paced, asynchronous, no prerequisites!
- October 2, 2023 - December 10, 2023 | 12 weeks
- Everyone’s different, but you can expect to spend up to eight hours per week on course materials.
- An instructor will be available to monitor your progress on a supervisory basis.
- Interact with the subject matter expert instructor directly throughout the 12 weeks during optional hour-long weekly sessions. Topics include evaluating IHME interactive visualizations, working on data visualizations in MatPlotlib (Python), Gephi, Cytoscape, Microsoft Excel, R/RStudio, and Visualize Free, among others.
- Continuing education (CE) hours are available (see disclaimer below).
To participate in the course, you need to have access to a computer and have internet access. Students are not expected to have access to specific statistics packages or healthcare analytics platforms.
- Module 1 – Exploring data visualization in health care
- Module 2 – Data visualization: Good, Bad, and Misleading
- Module 3 – Types of data visualizations
- Module 4 – Data transformation for visualizations
- Module 5 – Interactive health data visuals
- Module 6 – Data visualizations using Visualize Free from InetSoft
- Module 7 – Data visualizations using Excel
- Module 8 – Data visualizations using Gephi
- Module 9 – Data visualizations using Python and Matplotlib
- Module 10 – Data visualizations using R and RStudio
- Module 11 – Data visualizations using Cytoscape (Considering Google Charts)
- Module 12 – Future trend of data visualizations
Dr. Dexter Francis has worked in the information technology field for the last 23 years. He started his career working with electronics, but later decided to change careers and work with computers and software. He is currently the lead software engineer at CACI International, Inc., where they develop and maintain software solutions that collect maintenance data from military aircraft fighters for the Navy and Marine Corps.
For the last eight years, he has taught at several universities as full-time and/or adjunct faculty. He is a business and technology teacher who is passionate about extending educational opportunities to learners from diverse backgrounds. Additionally, he is committed to helping learners identify and develop their own passions while becoming familiar with academic concepts. Lastly, he enjoys speaking at high schools to introduce young minds to the wonderful world of information technology.
Dr. Dexter Francis earned his Ph.D. in information technology from Capella University. He also earned his MBA from the University of Phoenix. Lastly, he earned his BS in electrical engineering from the University of Florida. As a lifelong learner, he is pursuing a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP). He is also a member of the following organizations: InfraGrad San Diego, ISC2 San Diego and PMI California. Lastly, he truly believes that the knowledge and skills he has gained over the years will provide learners with an effective and engaging learning experience.
HIMSS Member* | $649.00 USD
Non-Member | $729.00 USD
*Excludes Chapter Only and Digital Only members
Registration is available through September 28, 2023.
Questions? Contact us at HIMSSprofessionaldevelopment@himss.org.
Participant registration information will be collected by HIMSS and shared with Alliant’s California School of Management and Leadership.
This program has been approved for up to 15 continuing education (CE) hours for use in fulfilling the continuing education requirements of the Certified Professional in Healthcare Information and Management Systems (CPHIMS)SM or the Certified Associate in Healthcare Information and Management Systems (CAHIMS)SM. For those satisfying all course requirements, a certificate of completion will be issued by Alliant’s California School of Management and Leadership upon the conclusion of the course (allow for approximately two weeks of processing after October 8).
HIMSS and Alliant have established an articulation agreement which allows HIMSS CE courses completed at Alliant to qualify for 3 credits towards Alliant’s Master of Science degrees, MS in Healthcare Analytics or MS in Data Analytics when students enroll in one of these degrees. HIMSS members/employees also qualify for 15% lower preferred tuition when enrolled in one of these degrees.