Navigate this resource:
- COVID-19 & the New Healthcare Journey: Meeting Patients, Consumers Where They Are
- COVID-19 & the Continuum of Care: Calls to Action for Health Leaders
- Innovating Through COVID-19: A New Normal in Digital Health Solutions (Available July 18)
- The Acceleration of Digital Health: Lessons Learned from the COVID-19 Pandemic (Available July 31)
Healthcare will never be the same again—and should not be—after this moment in history. The impact of COVID-19 has been far too devastating for our society, in good-conscience, to return to a status quo that allows a crisis like this to repeat itself.
Health systems face workforce challenges and financial downturns amid COVID-19, fragmenting an already-tenuous patient journey. Patients and consumers are toiling with emotional, social and economic anxieties while struggling to engage with an overwhelmed healthcare system.
But, fundamentally, if healthcare is going to change, we are going to have to change with it—swiftly and with purpose. That means we need to:
- Stand for equity in care delivery and wellness management for all our communities
- Enhance and democratize the patient journey with reasonable access to cost-effective, common sense, digital health tools and services
- Encourage consumer and health vendors to facilitate the direct input of consumers and caregivers into the design and development of their tools and services
- Invest in solutions that more deeply connect people within and across our healthcare systems
- Drive evidence-based awareness of health innovations to impact public policy that supports these health imperatives
Healthcare’s current moment requires the bravery of our communities and leadership to have honest conversations about how we begin to not only heal our healthcare system, but to give it the opportunity to do what was intended all along—to make us all healthier.
These big and sometimes uncomfortable conversations won’t be solved by a singular roundtable series. However, these conversations are critical to progress and must be sustained if we are to see this through. This is why the HIMSS Digital Influencers are committed to facilitating these conversations both during this roundtable discussion series, COVID-19 and the Acceleration of Digital Health and among their social and digital communities.
This resource, updated regularly, will feature content that helps the health community learn, engage and connect with fellow changemakers who are also committed to exploring a more thoughtful healthcare system enabled by information and technology.
Watch Jamey Edwards, Justin Gernot, Lygeia Ricciardi, Stacy Hurt discuss the need for a patient-centered culture shift in healthcare.
COVID-19 & the Continuum of Care: Calls to Action for Health Leaders
Watch Geeta Nayyar, MD, MBA, Mike Rucker, PhD, Rasu Shrestha, MD, MBA and Sara Vaezy, MHA, MPH bring their perspectives from across the care continuum to share calls to action that will be critical for health leaders to consider when leading through these unprecedented times.
Upcoming Roundtable Discussions
How Providers Are Using Technology in the Fight Against COVID-19
As the COVID-19 pandemic spreads, healthcare providers around the world are facing unprecedented challenges but also opportunities to rethink healthcare. This on-demand webinar provides observations about teachable moments and best practices for use of technology in the pandemic and beyond.
The views and opinions expressed in this content or by commenters are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HIMSS or its affiliates.