The Certified Professional in Healthcare Information and Management Systems (CPHIMS™) credential will help you advance your healthcare career:
- Demonstrate you meet an international standard of professional knowledge and competence in healthcare information and management systems
- Increase your credibility with your employer
- Show your commitment to continuing professional development
Become CPHIMS Certified
Candidates who meet CPHIMS eligibility requirements can apply to take the certification exam.
To qualify to take the CPHIMS Exam and earn CPHIMS certification, you must either:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and
- Have five years of information and management systems* experience, with three of those years in a healthcare setting**
- Hold a graduate degree or higher from an accredited college or university and
- Have three years of information and management systems* experience, with two of those years in a healthcare setting**
- Have at least 10 years of information and management systems* experience, with eight of those years in a healthcare setting**
- All candidates without a degree, or whose degree was not awarded in the past five years, must document at least 45 hours of continuing education in healthcare information technology, digital health or informatics, specifically covering content found in the CPHIMS Detailed Content Outline.
- Candidates must submit a current CV or resume supporting their experience; official documentation of their current job description; and a listing of the 45 hours of continuing education, should their degree be over five year old. Documents are subject to audit and verification.
For detailed information on eligibility requirements, see the CPHIMS Candidate Handbook.
Preparing for the Exam
Start by reviewing the CPHIMS Candidate Handbook, which provides a detailed outline explaining the content and structure of the exam. It will help you identify your strengths and weaknesses and focus your preparation.
Instructor-led, interactive, one-day, in-person review courses, as well as online review courses and instructional webinars, are available. Contact us for more information, or find upcoming courses and webinars on our Events page.
The CPHIMS Practice Exam is a 100-question online practice exam developed using the same procedures as the CPHIMS Exam, conforming to its specifications in content, cognitive levels, format and difficulty. Use it to familiarize yourself with the format and type of questions you will find on the actual exam. Feedback during the practice exam provides narrative rationales for correct answers and may assist you in self-identifying areas for further review or study. The questions presented in the practice exam are different from the questions contained on the actual exam and should not be considered predictive of your exam performance.
The CPHIMS Exam is delivered via a network of computer-based assessment centers around the world.
Applications will be reviewed for eligibility, and candidates will be contacted with instructions on how to make their testing reservation.
To locate the testing center nearest you, visit our testing partner website and select the "Locate a Testing Center" icon. Candidates will not be able to make a testing reservation until they have received an eligibility ID number.
Taking the Exam
The CPHIMS Exam is a two-hour exam composed of 115 multiple-choice questions, 100 of which are scored. The exam focuses on common knowledge and skills that have been identified as being important to competent practice through a job analysis in health IT.
Exams are administered at Prometric Testing Centers and at select HIMSS events, such as the HIMSS Global Health Conference. All candidates must apply and receive an eligibility ID number before making a reservation to test.
Candidates will receive results before leaving the testing session.
CPHIMS Certification Fees
(All fees in U.S. dollars)
- HIMSS Organizational Affiliate Member: $375
- HIMSS Member (excludes Chapter Only and Online Only members): $405
- Non-Member: $525
- Retake: $250
- Extension: $100
- Renewal Member: $250
- Renewal Non-Member: $350
Veterans Exam Fee Reimbursement
The CPHIMS Exam fee is eligible for reimbursement for U.S. veterans. To be reimbursed, you must be eligible for the Montgomery G.I. Bill, Reserve Education Assistance Program, Veterans Education Assistance Program, or Dependents Educational Assistance programs. For more information about benefit and eligibility requirements, contact your assigned Veterans Affairs office or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Renew Your Certification
Your CPHIMS certification must be renewed every three years. For more info, visit our Certification Renewal page.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.