The HIMSS New York State Chapter is holding election from March 18 – April 16, 2021.
Are you interested in becoming a New York State Chapter Board Member? At the end of our fiscal year, the board will have five (5) positions that will become available. These upcoming board positions are:
- Board Member-at-Large (2)
All the above positions have the following qualifications:
- They are two (2) year terms beginning July 1, 2021, and ending June 30, 2023.
- They are all elected through a general election process.
- The candidate needs to have had three (3) years of healthcare experience at the time of their application.
- The Candidate needs to be a HIMSS member and NYS Chapter member in good standing for at least one (1) year at the time of application.
- Not only a chapter member
- Not only a student member
- Not only a retiree member
In addition to the above, the President-Elect position requires the applicant to have been serving on a NYS Chapter Committee/Task Force in a leadership role (chair or co-chair) since November 1, 2020, or earlier contiguously.
Level of Commitment
The level of commitment is typically a monthly one-hour board meeting (held virtually), involvement in the committee of your choice (usually two hours per month), and various planning, mentoring, and networking activities totaling another 3 hours per month. The entire chapter operates virtually so the need for travel and time away from the office is minimal.
Attributes of the Positions
These are senior-level positions for individuals who wish to operate in a true boardroom environment where the success of the chapter is established and then operated through various committees and task force groups. The successful candidates enjoy working in an organization at the highest levels where goals are established, and expectations met through the guidance and mentoring of others. The ability to engage at the highest levels with state and federal agencies in our efforts to change healthcare is a core competency and one that a candidate should have a strong desire.
The president-elect shall, in the absence of the president, preside at all meetings of the chapter and the Chapter Board of Directors; shall automatically succeed to the office of president at the end of the presiding president’s term; and shall perform all duties incident to the office of president-elect and such other duties as may be prescribed by the president or by the Chapter Board of Directors. These duties include but are not limited to:
- Co-Chairing at least one (1) standing committee
- Working with the president in establishing the strategic plan and subsequent execution
- Growing the overall membership of the chapter
- Adjudicating issues and providing leadership to the board.
The treasurer shall be responsible for all funds and securities of the chapter; shall receive and give receipts for monies due and payable to the chapter from any sources whatsoever, and shall deposit all such monies in the name of the chapter in such banks, trust companies, or other depositories as shall be selected in accordance with the provisions of these bylaws; shall submit financial reports to HIMSS, to the Chapter Board of Directors at its regular meetings, and to the chapter membership at its annual meeting; and shall in general perform all the duties incident to the office of treasurer and such other duties as from time to time may be assigned by the president or by the Chapter Board of Directors. These duties include but are not limited to:
- The creation of an annual budget that ties into the strategic plan and operating initiatives
- The oversight of the annual financial audit
- The development and coordination of the Financial Committee under the present charter
- The review and financial approval of all purchases and contracts.
The secretary shall keep or cause to be kept the minutes of the meetings of the Chapter Board of Directors and voting members; shall see that all notices are duly given in accordance with the provisions of the bylaws or as required by law; shall be custodian of the corporate records; shall keep or cause to be kept an accurate census of the chapter membership; and shall in general perform all the duties incident to the office of Secretary and such other duties as from time to time may be assigned by the president or by the Chapter Board of Directors. These duties include but are not limited to:
- Scheduling of all board meetings
- Coordination of the collection of all committee minutes
- Organization of all files and official filings in the chapter’s electronic systems.
The board member(s)-at-large positions are required to attend board and chapter related functions and provide leadership involvement at the highest levels including the design, development and deployment of programs, initiatives and projects that will improve the overall quality of the membership. Areas of focus include but are not limited to:
- Planning and scheduling meetings to provide chapter members and other interested persons an opportunity to share ideas and exchange experiences in the field of healthcare information and management systems
- Assisting chapter members and others in developing their knowledge, increasing their effectiveness and maintaining high-quality standards of performance through continuing education
- Planning and conducting training and educational programs designed to promote an understanding of information and management systems work in healthcare
- Developing and maintaining appropriate relationships with other local and national associations and societies concerned with the improvement of information and management systems.
Election Timeline Final deadlines end at 11:59 pm ET.
March 18 – April 16, 2021 | Candidates apply for their position of choice
April 19 – June 4, 2021 | Candidates campaign
June 7 – June 18, 2021 | Elections (No campaigning is allowed during this timeframe)
June 21 – June 25, 2021 | Tabulating and confirming results
June 28, 2021 | Announcing election outcome
What does a candidate need to provide to submit for candidacy?
- Your HIMSS Membership number
- Your e-mail address
- A head shot
- A brief profile of your background and why you are interested in this position. This last item will accompany your headshot and name on our website so voters can refer to you and your platform. Please keep this to less than 500 words.
Please send your submissions to Nick Christiano at email@example.com.
The views and opinions expressed in this content or by commenters are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HIMSS or its affiliates.