Gain a competitive industry advantage—or give your students one.
Today’s health information and technology job market requires updated knowledge and skills, and credentials that demonstrate a commitment to healthcare education.
Dive into healthcare, health information and technology, and health information management systems with Healthcare IT Foundations: a virtual, self-paced course from Carnegie Mellon University's Open Learning Initiative and HIMSS.
- Independent Students: Get access to full course content. Earn a certificate of completion and continuing healthcare education hours upon satisfactory completion; certificate and hours are administered by HIMSS. This self-paced course operates both without a teacher and without a schedule.
- Teachers: Use this course with your students as a textbook replacement or as supplemental material. Choose from four options:
- Full course: Includes all content, teacher’s learning dashboard, gradebook, roster management, LMS integration and support.
- Half course, units 2–5 plus introductory unit: Includes first four content units, teacher’s learning dashboard, gradebook, roster management, LMS integration and support.
- Half course, units 6–9 plus introductory unit: Includes last four content units, teacher’s learning dashboard, gradebook, roster management, LMS integration and support.
- Full course with certificate of completion and CE hours: Includes all content, teacher’s learning dashboard, gradebook, roster management, LMS integration and support—plus the option to offer students institutional credit for the class, a HIMSS certificate of completion and continuing education hours.
Select each format option from the menu for pricing.
Course curriculum is aligned to the general content contained in the Certified Associate in Health Information & Management Systems (CAHIMS™) certification from HIMSS—plus:
- Focuses on the role and responsibilities of entry-level specialists in each phase of the health information management systems lifecycle
- Provides individuals in non-IT related healthcare roles with a broad understanding of healthcare IT
- Designed for those with previous experience in IT or healthcare
- Intended to serve as a career pathway
- Healthcare environment
- Technology environment
- Health information management systems analysis and design
- Health information management systems selection and acquisition
- Health information management systems implementation and management
- Privacy and security
- Leadership and planning
- Professionalism and communication skills
Upon completion, students will receive a certificate and 30 continuing education hours toward CAHIMS or CPHIMS renewal.
The views and opinions expressed in this content or by commenters are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HIMSS or its affiliates.